Returning Service Members - Miami VA Healthcare System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Miami VA Healthcare System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Returning Service Members

Medical Care

The Miami VA Healthcare System started receiving Veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom for medical care in July 2003. We continue to educate the community through the media and community organizations about the five-year priority health care for returning Soldiers.

The Miami VA Healthcare System has an Transition and Care Management Program that works exclusively with returning combat Veterans.  Our team includes a program manager, social work case manager registered nurse case manager and a transitional patient advocate. Our role it is to assist Servicemembers and Veterans in their transition from military and post deployment to civilian life. 

Bruce W. Carter Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
1201 NW 16th St.
Miami, FL 33125
305-575-7000, ext. 17077
Toll Free: 1-888-276-1785

VA Outpatient Clinics (OPCs)

William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic
9800 West Commercial Blvd.
Sunrise, FL 33351
Toll Free: 888-497-4647

Key West VA Outpatient Clinic
1300 Douglas Circle, Building L-15
Key West, FL 33040

VA Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs)

  • Deerfield Beach, 954-570-5572
  • Hollywood, 954-986-1811
  • Homestead, 305-248-0874
  • Key Largo, 305-451-0164
  • Pembroke Pines, 954-894-1668
  • TRI-CARE (Toll Free) 1-800-444-5445

Mental Health Services

Bruce W. Carter Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
1201 NW 16th St.
Miami, FL 33125
Toll Free: 1-888-276-1785

William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic
9800 West Commercial Blvd.
Sunrise, FL 33351

Fort Lauderdale Vet Center
3666 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311
Toll Free: 877-927-8387

Miami Vet Center
8280 NW 27 St., Suite 511
Miami (Doral), FL 33122
Toll Free: 877-927-8387

Pompano Beach Vet Center
2300 West Sample Road, Suite 102
Pompano, FL 33073
Toll Free: 877-927-8387

DISCLAIMER: VA does not endorse the services or providers listed in below. The information presented below is believed to be correct at the time of posting. Any fee or payment required for service is the responsibility of the consumer.

Children's Services
Emergency Services
Housing Assistance
Employment and Training Resources
Legal Help
Claims and Benefits
Helpful Phone Numbers
Internet Resources
Support Sites
Transitional Services

Children's Services

  • Florida Kid Care** 780 SW 24th St., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315 954-467-4885
  • Outreach for KidCare provides affordable, low-cost health insurance for children and adolescents whose parents meet the income eligibility threshold and do not have access to private insurance through their workplace. KidCare offers a comprehensive insurance package. To request an application: 1-888-540-5437 To check the status of your application: 1-800-821-5437.
  • Women Infants Children (WIC) provides the following at no cost: healthy foods, nutrition, education and counseling, breast feeding support, and referrals for health care. Must meet income guidelines. For more information call: 954-321-3780.
  • Child Nutrition Programs - Free school breakfast, lunch, and summer food service. Must meet income guidelines. For more information call: 954-467-4700.
  • Family Central for Child Care** - 840 SW 81st Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL. For more information call: 954-724-3973. Helps clients locate child care, educates parents on components of quality child care, prescreens for eligibility for financial assistance and provides linkage to resources for families with unmet social service needs.
  • Broward County School System Contact Peer Counseling** Provides support for children whose parents are in the status of pre-deployment, deployment, or post-deployment.  Broward County School System/Main Number: 754-321-0000. Psychological Services/Family Counseling: 754-321-2460.
  • Nova Southeastern University (NSU) Mental Health Supportive Services provided through the Psychology Center. POC: Ayala Weiner 954-262-5874

Emergency Services

  • VFW Unmet Needs Program** One time financial assistance for recently discharged Veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan. For an application call
  • Switchboard of Miami, Inc. Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties - 24-hour Crisis and Help Line** Call: 305-358-HELP (4357)
  • All American VFW Post 8182 - 954-943-3552
  • American Legion - 1-800-504-4098
  • Jewish Family Services
    100 S. Pine Island Road, Suite 230 Plantation, FL Call: 954-370-2140
    2790 SW 27th Avenue Miami, FL 33145 Call: 305-445-0555
  • Department of Children and Families Economic Service - To apply for Food Stamps, Cash Assistance, or Medicaid:
    • 1801 W. Sample Rd, Pompano Beach, FL, 954-969-3400
    • 1400 W. Commercial Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 954-967-1420
    • 311 North SR 7, Plantation, FL, 954-327-5000
    • 7261 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL, 954-967-1333
    • 1490 NW 27th Ave, Miami, FL (Central Office), 305-637-2485
    • 1111 12th Street, Key West, FL (FL Keys), 305-293-1684
    • 8539 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, FL (FL Keys), 305-853-3246
    • 2796 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL (FL Keys), 305-289-2396
  • HOPE Forgive Our Debt Program Program acts as negotiators for people who are in need of repairing and restoring their credit. 2305 Sheridan Street Hollywood, FL, 954-342-8470
  • Florida Impact Food Stamp Hotline** 345 Magnolia Drive #E-11 Tallahassee, FL 32301
  • Food Stamp Hotline: 1-800-224-3470 Pre-screens applicants to determine if they are eligible for food stamps and an approximation of their monthly food stamp benefit. Applicants must provide information on personal income, assets, and expenses.
  • Food Pantry Wilton Manors Good News Church 201 SW 38th Avenue Wilton Manors, FL - Call: 954-581-1612

Housing Assistance

  • Fort Lauderdale CED Purchase Assistance - 1409 NW 6th St., Fort Lauderdale, FL. Main: 954-828-4530. This is a City of Fort Lauderdale program to provide closing costs or down payment assistance to eligible home buyers. Up to $3,000 in the form of a grant may be provided to eligible lower income home buyers to purchase existing single family homes.
  • Hollywood First Time Home Buyer - 2500 Hollywood Boulevard, Suite 314, Hollywood, FL 33020 Main: 954-921-3271 Provides down payment and closing cost assistance up to $10,000 for the purchase of an existing property and $20,000 for new construction. Must contribute $1,000 toward the down payment and attend home buyer's workshop.

Employment and Training Resources

  • Work Force One for Employment Purposes2610 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL. Veterans Representative: 954-677-5555, ext. 1516.
  • Broward County Jobs** 115 South Andrews Ave, Annex B Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 - Apply for jobs with Veterans Preference; search for jobs and apply online Main: 954-357-6445 24-hour job hotline: 954-357-5627
  • Miami VA Vet Center - 8280 NW 27 Street, Suite 511, Miami (Doral), FL 33122, 305-718-3712, Job fairs, seminars, and career counseling
  • Federal Jobs (Veterans Preference)* Apply online and post your resume
  • Atlantic Vocational Technical Center - 4700FDMS-AWI (Agency for Workforce Coconut Creek Parkway Coconut Creek, FL 33063. Main: 754-321-5100 Provides vocational counseling/training, skill assessment, job placement, academic remediation and supportive services for Veterans.
  • CareerSource Broward**
  • United States Department of Labor POC: Oscar Fuentes, Assistant Director, 954-677-5818. If you lose your job or you returned and your job is no longer available.
  • National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)/ESGR Ombudsman** 1555 Wilson Blvd, Ste 200 Arlington, VA 22209. Main Number: 1-800-336-4592. Third party assistance, informal mediation services to employers and members of the National Guard and Reserve. Provides assistance in the resolution of employment conflicts resulting from military membership, training or other services requirements protected under USSERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act).
  • Veterans' Employment and Training Service** - Comprehensive career website for hiring Veterans of America's military.

Legal Help

  • Broward County Bar Association Lawyer Referral - 1051 SE Third Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. Main: 954-764-8040. Provides legal referrals (only handles family law and landlord/tenant law) to people currently without an attorney; attorneys are all members of the Broward County Bar Association and appointments are usually available within two days of the referral.
  • Legal Aid Service (Broward County) - 491 North State Rd 7 Plantation, FL 33317. Main: 954-765-8950.
  • Miami Legal Aid Services - 124 NW 1st Ave, Miami, FL 33128. Main: 305-579-5733.
  • Legal Services of the Florida Keys - 600 White Street Key West, FL 33040 Main: 305-292-3566
  • Miami Asylum Office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services - 77 SE 5th St., 3rd Floor, Miami, FL 33131. Office is open to the public 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday - Friday (except federal holidays) National telephone number: 1-800-375-5283.
  • Naturalization Information for Military Personnel* -  Special information is available for military personnel pursuing the naturalization process. You may call 1-800-870-3676 and request a “military packet” or you may go to the website and download the forms.

Claims and Benefits

  • Broward County Elderly and Veterans Services Division
    • North Office: 1600 W. Hillsboro Blvd, Room 200, Deerfield Beach, FL 954-831-1230
    • Central Office: 2995 North Dixie Highway, Fort Lauderdale, FL 954-537-2936
    • South Office: 3550 Hollywood Blvd, Room 190, Hollywood, FL 954-831-0420
  • Florida Department of Veterans Affairs** -  727-319-7400. General/Main Address: P.O. Box 31003 St. Petersburg, FL 33731 
  • Miami VA Healthcare System - POC: Enrique Carrion 305-325-3325, ext. 13068. 1201 NW 16th St, Room A206 Miami, FL 33125 

Helpful Phone Numbers

  • GI Bill Office Education Benefits P.O. Box 100022 Decatur, GA 30031-7022, 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551). Information for Chapter 30 self-verifications: 1-877-823-2378.
  • VA Regional Office (VARO) Florida (For all VA benefits and Information): P.O. Box 1437 St. Petersburg, FL 33731 Main: 1-800-827-1000.
  • Veterans Health Administration (medical care) 1-877-222-8387.
  • VA EFT Hotline (to change status of electronic funds transfer or direct deposit for disability or compensation): 1-877-838-2778.
  • VA Insurance Center P.O. Box 42954 Philadelphia, PA Main: 1-800-669-8477.
  • CHAMPVA Inquiries: 1-800-733-8387.
  • Loan Guaranty Eligibility Center (Home loan certificates of eligibility) P.O. Box 20729 Winston-Salem, NC 27120 Main: 1-800-244-6711.

Internet Resources

Support Sites

For wives, significant others, and adult children of vets suffering from PTSD. A safe haven of support for those whose battles live on in the aftermath of war

    Transitional Issues

    • Self-care to manage stress after a combat experience
    • Consider limiting your exposure to television coverage.
    • Monitor yourself for signs of anger, rage, depression, or anxiety and take a break from the coverage to allow yourself to recover from these feelings.
    • Keep up with your daily schedules and routines.
    • Keep up with your physical needs relating to exercise, food, and sleep.
    • Feel what you feel. It is normal to feel a range of emotions. Having these feelings is to be expected; how you deal with them is most important.
    • Remember that people have their own pace for dealing with traumatic incidents, and it is important to listen to and honor your own pace.
    • Count on feeling angry, but temper your actions with wisdom. Try to stay calm and avoid reacting with impulsive anger. Consider the long term consequences of these actions for the overall benefit of the country.
    • Talk with someone close to you who might understand what you are going through.
    • Studies suggest that if you do not feel like talking, writing in a journal may be helpful for dealing with intense feelings.
    • Studies show that seeking support along with other veterans can be very helpful when stress is increasing. This can be done through the VA, Vet Centers, and Vets Service Organizations.
    • Seek assistance from your medical doctor or a mental health professional who is skilled in working with survivors of trauma if:
      • You are experiencing any symptoms causing significant distress, changes in relationships, or impairing functioning at work
      • You are self medicating with alcohol or drugs;
      • You are unable to find relief using the strategies listed above

    Special Eligibility and Coordination of Care for Combat Veterans Serving in Combat Theater After 11/11/1998- Returning Servicemembers (OEF/OIF/OND)

    The Post-9/11 Transition and Care Management Program offers transitional assistance, case management and outreach services to all Veterans who have served after September 11, 2001 in their transition to civilian life. For more information about the various programs available for recent returning service members, log on to the Returning Servicemembers web site.

    Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations also have special eligibility for VA health care. Under the "Combat Veteran" authority VA provides cost-free health care services and nursing home care for conditions possibly related to military service and enrollment in Priority Group 6 or higher for 5 years from the date of discharge or release from active duty, unless eligible for enrollment in a higher priority group.

    Combat Veterans who enroll with VA under this enhanced Combat Veteran authority will continue to be enrolled even after their enhanced eligibility period ends, although they may be shifted to Priority Group 7 or 8, depending on their income level, and required to make applicable copays. Additionally, for care not related to combat service, copays may be required depending on their financial assessment and other special eligibility factors.

    NOTE: The 5-year enrollment period applicable to these Veterans begins on the discharge or separation date of the service member from active duty military service, or in the case of multiple call-ups, the most recent discharge date.