Miami VA Healthcare System
If you qualify for VA health care, you can get high-quality mental health services as part of your benefits. You may also be able to get care for certain mental health problems even if you don't have VA health care.
Mental Health Access Line | Contact Information
The Miami VA Healthcare System, Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences (MH&BS) Service provides a wide range of recovery-oriented, evidence-based treatment interventions. The main goals of the MH&BS service are to offer the highest quality mental health care to eligible veterans, consistent with VA ICARE values, and to provide excellent training to the next generation of mental health clinicians. Services provided include but are not limited to assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care as indicated.
The Miami VA MH&BS service is comprised of several sections under the leadership of the Associate Chief of Staff (ACOS) for Mental Health (MH). These include:
- MH Social Work
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Recreational Therapy
Additionally, Suicide Prevention Coordinators, the Veterans Justice Outreach Program, the Local Recovery Coordinator and the Local LGBTQ coordinators operate under the MH&BS umbrella. Services are provided at the main Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center (VAMC) facility, the William “Bill” Kling VA Clinic (formerly the Broward Outpatient Clinic), six Community-Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs), three Vet Centers, and the Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program. MH&BS service collaborates closely with the Primary Care PACT teams and Social Work Service.
The Miami VA MH&BS service is affiliated for training and teaching purposes with the University of Miami, Florida International University, Barry University, Florida Atlantic University, Nova Southeastern University and the Palm Beach Graduate Medical Education Consortium.
The Miami VA MH&BS clinical services are organized into Hospital-Based and Outpatient-Based Mental Health areas.
Hospital Based Services (Bruce W. Carter VAMC)
- Acute Inpatient Mental Health Unit
- Consultation/Liaison Psychiatry
- Fast-track and Emergency Room Psychiatry (same day, urgent and emergent care)
- Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (PRRTP)
- PTSD-Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (PTSD-RRTP)
- Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (SARRTP)
- Behavioral Health Clinic (BHC) – Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward), CBOCs
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Clinical Team (PCT) – Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward), Homestead CBOC.
- Military Sexual Trauma Team (MST) - Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward), Homestead CBOC
- Outpatient Substance Use Disorder Clinic (OSAC) - Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward)
- Primary Care Mental Health Integrated (PC-MHI) - Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward)
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Center (PRRC) – Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami)
- Mental Health Intensive Care Management (MHICM) – Miami-Dade county
- HUD-VASH Psychiatry Services – Miami-Dade and Broward counties
- Psychiatry: Specialized psychopharmacology clinics, emergency psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, women’s health, individual and group psychotherapy.
- Psychology: Marriage and family therapy, psychodiagnostic and neuropsychological assessments, individual and group psychotherapy, evidence-based psychotherapies, behavioral health, stress management, computer based psychoeducation.
- MH Social Work: Individual, group, couple, and family therapies, evidence-based psychotherapies, screening, case management, and discharge planning for clinical programs.
- Vocational Rehabilitation: The Vocational Rehabilitation/Therapeutic & Supported Employment Service provides vocational assistance to disabled and homeless Veterans who present with employment barriers.
- Recreational and Music Therapy: Outpatient, inpatient and residential recreational activities promoting community reintegration.
- Veterans Justice Outreach: The goal of the VJO program is to avoid unnecessary criminalization of mental illness and extended incarceration among Veterans by ensuring that eligible justice-involved veterans have timely access to VA mental health and substance abuse services when clinically indicated as well as other VA services and benefits. Justice-involved Veterans are Veterans who have crisis encounters with law enforcement in the community, are jailed for relatively brief periods of time for offenses that do not result in prison time, and/or are adjudicated or monitored by either local criminal courts or specialty treatment courts, such as Veterans, drug, and mental health courts, usually for extended periods of time.
- Suicide Prevention: Suicide Prevention Coordinators are available at the Bruce W. Carter VAMC (Miami), William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward), and northern and southern CBOCs.
- Peer Support Services: Peer support counselors provide recovery and rehabilitation services in inpatient, outpatient and residential treatment settings.
- LGBT Services: Individual, couple, and group therapy, and transgender support and referral.
Any Veteran new to Mental Health requesting or referred for care in person will be seen in person the same day by a Licensed Independent Provider (LIP) to screen for and address immediate care needs. The LIP may be a MH or a non-MH provider.
- At the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center, new patients will be seen in the Psychiatry Fast Track (FT) or Primary Care Mental Health Integration (PC-MHI) Clinic.
- At the William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic, new patients will be seen in the Fast Track Clinic (BRW-OPC).
- At all other Miami VA outpatient clinics, new patients will be seen by an assigned provider (a wait period may be expected for same-day appointments). Alternatively, patients may agree to schedule their appointment for an initial mental health evaluation at a convenient time on a following day.
Any Veteran new to MH calling to initiate care will be scheduled for an initial evaluation. If a call-back is requested, an LIP will call the Veteran back the same day or no later than the next calendar day. Established MH patients requesting to be seen as a walk-in without an appointment will undergo an initial brief screening for triage purposes by the regular provider, the covering provider, or another clinic provider in the clinic they are assigned to. The patient may then be seen on the same day or be rescheduled for an earlier appointment with his/her regular provider in lieu of a same-day appointment, if clinically appropriate and agreed to by the patient.
To reach the Miami VA Mental Health Access Line, call 305-575-3214. The Miami VA Mental Health Access Line is open to all Veterans who would like information on available mental health services. The access line offers after-hours coverage by routing callers to a live representative at the regional TelCare line.
After Hours, Weekends and Federal Holidays
- If you are experiencing a medical or mental health emergency, please call 911.
- If you are having thoughts about harming yourself or others and would like to speak with a mental health professional, please call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1.
Miami VA Healthcare System
- Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center (Miami VAMC): 305-575-7000
1201 N.W. 16th St., Miami, FL 33125
- Associate Chief of Staff for Mental Health: 305-575-7000, ext. 3903
- Psychiatry Service: 305-575-7000, ext. 3903
- Psychology Service: 305-575-7000, ext. 3215
- Mental Health Social Work: 305-575-7000, ext. 3903
- Vocational Rehabilitation: 305-575-7000, ext. 6876
- Recreational and Music Therapy: 305-575-7000, ext. 4143
- Veterans Justice Outreach: 305-575-7000 exts. 4447/5746
- LGBTQ Services: 305-575-7000, ext. 3474; 954-894-1668, ext. 2929
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, press 1
Healthcare for Homeless Veterans, 305-541-5864
1492 W. Flagler St., Suite 101, Miami, FL 33135
Community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs)
- Deerfield Beach VA CBOC, 954-570-5572
2100 SW 10th St., Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
- Hollywood VA CBOC, 954-986-1811
3702 Washington St., Hollywood Medical Pavilion, Suite 201, Hollywood, Florida 33021
- Pembroke Pines VA CBOC, 954-894-1668
7369 Sheridan St., Suite 102, Hollywood, FL 33024
- William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic (Broward VA Outpatient Clinic), 954-475-5500
9800 West Commercial Blvd., Sunrise, FL 33351
- Homestead VA CBOC, 305-248-0874
950 Krome Ave., Suite 401, Homestead, FL 33030
- Key Largo VA CBOC, 305-451-0164
105662 Overseas Highway, Key largo, FL 33037
- Key West VA Outpatient Clinic, 305-293-4863
1300 Douglas Circle, Building L-15, Key West, FL 33040
- Miami Vet Center, 305-718-3712
8280 N.W. 27th St., Suite 511, Miami, FL 33122
- Fort Lauderdale Vet Center, 954-714-2381
3666 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311
- Pompano Beach Vet Center, 954-984-1669
2300 W. Sample Road, Suite 102, Pompano Beach, FL 33073
- Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center
- 305-575-7000 Ext. 3914
Hours of Operation
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Extended Hours and Saturday Appts Available