Miami VA Healthcare System
Prepare for Your Visit
Prepare for a visit: Everyone entering our facilities is screened, and visitors are limited. Face coverings are mandatory: we encourage you to bring your own, or you can use one we provide. Please contact us first before going to any of our locations. For some needs, you may be able to get care at home by phone or video.
Your Safe Care is Our Mission
If you are experiencing a medical or psychiatric emergency, please call 9-1-1 or visit an emergency room closest to you.
What to do if you think you have COVID-19
If you are sick or have symptoms of respiratory illness (fever, cough, shortness of breath), the VISN 8 Clinical Contact Center is the best, first contact before visiting our facilities. Staff are available 24/7 for nurse advice and triage, VA Video Connect, VA Health Chat and more. Contact us at: 1-877-741-3400
Testing for COVID-19
Currently, VA is testing patients and employees who are symptomatic as well as those who are scheduled for medical procedures. We are also testing employees and residents of our Community Living Centers and other inpatient units in accordance with current CDC guidance.
Safety Measures at Our FacilitiesYour safety is important to us. The following measures have been implemented:
- All individuals should wear appropriate face masks (cloth, surgical/generic) while on our campuses and in our facilities; health care providers will wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- No Visitations; virtual visits are encouraged
- Cleaning of high-touch surfaces in our facilities
- Increased physical distancing in common areas like waiting rooms, Canteen and retail stores
What to expect when you’re hereWhen you come to our facilities for your appointment, things will likely look a little differently and some of our processes have changed for your continued safety.
- Currently, access to our facility is limited for emergency care or by appointment only.
- Patients, visitors, and employees will all be screened for COVID-19 symptoms prior to entry into our buildings. Please allow a few extra minutes for this process.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- If you have opted in to VEText, you will be asked to check-in using that option. Otherwise, your care team will provide instruction on check-in procedures.
- You are asked to wear a face covering or mask while in our facilities; our staff will wear masks and personal protective equipment (PPE) as well.
- Please observe physical distancing signage in waiting areas, elevators, canteen and other common areas.
- Caregivers will not be allowed to join you for your appointment unless you need them for mobility or cognitive support. They will be asked to wait in the designated parking locations. It is important that your care team has their contact information so we can call them when you are ready for pick-up.
Virtual Care Options
The VISN 8 Clinical Contact Center is a service of the VA Sunshine Healthcare Network (VISN 8) - providing 24/7, virtual care and support to Veterans enrolled for VA Health Care in Florida, South Georgia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Veterans who receive care in the network can call 1-877-741-3400 around the clock to get their health questions or concerns answered from the comfort and convenience of their home, or wherever they may be. Veterans can also contact the center using VA Health Chat – a secure mobile chat application available for IOS and Android devices – Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Other virtual access to care options available too. Learn more at www.connectedcare.va.gov.