Miami VA Healthcare System
Local Patient Access Data
Regularly updated patient access data is available for all VA Medical Centers and Community-Based Outpatient Clinics including average wait times, number of patients waiting for a scheduled appointment and number of patients that cannot be scheduled for an appointment in 90 days or less. To view this data, go to http://www.va.gov/health/access-audit.asp.
Miami VA Healthcare System Completed Appointment Wait Times
(Wait times computed using preferred date)
Click here to view the VHA Patient Access data page.
|Month||Total Appts Completed||Completed within 30 days||Percent Appts completed in 30 Days or less||Completed in over 30 days||Percent Appts completed in over 30 Days|
Access and Quality in VA Health Care
To visit VA's Access and Quality in VA Health Care website, click here.
If you are not currently a patient at the Miami VA Healthcare System, you can visit the Admissions and Eligibility Office located in the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center's Emergency Room Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. To contact them directly, call 305-575-7000, ext. 3175. Please bring proof of honorable military service, any medical insurance information and a valid government photo ID. If you are not enrolled to receive VA health benefits, you can apply in person at the Admissions and Eligibility Office or you can apply online.
After registration, new patients who are eligibile for VA health care and are in need of emergency care will be seen by a health care provider in the Emergency Room. Eligible new patients who are not in need of emergency care can schedule an initial primary care appointment in the Admissions and Eligibility Office.
For additional information on how to register as a new patient, please contact your Patient Advocate at 305-575-7007.
If you are currently enrolled in an outpatient clinic, you may call the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center at 305-575-7000, ext. 2084, to schedule an appointment. Please be aware that if you have already been assigned to a Primary Care Provider, it will be necessary that you contact your Primary Care Team concerning your health care needs. Patients who are assigned to Primary Care will not be scheduled to other clinics without approval from their Primary Care Team.
305-575-7000, ext. 5361
Pharmacy: ext. 3376
305-575-7000, ext. 5090
Pharmacy: ext. 3376
305-575-7000, ext. 2212
Pharmacy: ext. 3376
Appointments are not scheduled on the following federal holidays:
- New Year’s Day (1/1)
- Birth of Martin Luther King Jr. (3rd Monday in January)
- Washington's Birthday (3rd Monday in February)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (7/4)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (11/11)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
- Christmas Day (12/25)
The Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center Emergency Room is open 24/7. The phone number is 305-575-7400.
Appointments and Waiting Times
We are working hard to see Veterans as close to appointment times as possible. If you have an appointment and arrive on time, our goal is for you to wait no longer than 30 minutes. You can help by:
- Being on time for appointments
- Calling us if you have to cancel or will be late for an appointment
- Coming early if you need to have blood tests, X-rays, EKG's or other tests done before you see the doctor
- Bringing in test results, especially if you had the tests done someplace else. Your doctor will want to see the actual X-ray, MRI, or CAT scan films
In addition, our standards of care include the following:
- Urgent care 24 hours a day
- New patients desiring routine care will be scheduled as soon as possible
- Patients will be able to schedule an appointment with their primary care provider within seven days
- Patients will have an appointment with a specialist within 30 days of referral
Changing Your Appointment
For a listing of your current appointments, please call the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center at 305-575-3133.
If you cannot keep an existing appointment, please contact us as soon as you are aware you cannot make your appointment. This will allow us to reschedule you sooner as well as schedule one of your fellow veterans for the original appointment date and time. Call Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center at 305-575-7000 or 1-888-276-1785, ext. 2084.