Miami VA Healthcare System
Post-Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Residency (PB-RNR) Program
The Miami VA Healthcare System (MVAHS) Post-Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Residency Program (PB-RNR) is funded centrally by a VA Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA). The OAA training program is a one-year (12 months) program during which the trainees have 100% protected time to master the complexities of caring for Veterans.
To facilitate the transition of newly graduated nurses from novice to competent professional in a caring and skilled environment, while developing professional leadership ability and promoting excellence in Veteran care.
Our values is to provide care that exhibit: Integrity Commitment Advocacy Respect Excellence
The philosophy of our PB-RNR programs is to reach the “the highest levels of significant learning that include personal involvement at both the affective and cognitive levels, are self-initiated, and are so pervasive they could change attitudes, behavior, and in some cases, even the personality of the learner (Carl Rogers).
ProgramThis is an intensive 12-month residency program for 10 competitive positions.
A. Clinical Component: Three-phase of precepted clinical rotation on preparing the new graduate nurse to transition into professional role in the following site: acute care, Critical or Specialty Care and Leadership/site of chosen area for final rotation. Experiential clinical rotation in, mental health, ambulatory, Telehealth and outpatient settings.
B. Didactic Component: There will be an average of weekly classroom activities, that includes academic/learning activities, post-clinical conference for experiential learning and evaluation, and/or opportunities to complete experiential assignments. This includes guided evidence-based study.
As federally funded, each resident will receive the following benefits:
- 12-month stipend amounting to $67,133
- Insurance: multiple options are available for medical, dental, vision & life
- Accrual of paid Sick and Annual leave: 4 hours of sick Leave and 4 hours of annual leave every 2 weeks. Prior military members may receive more based-on time in service. All nursing staff will receive 4 hours of sick and 8 hours of annual leave after they finish their residency.
- Access to the VA-Trainee Recruitment Event (VA-TRE) connecting trainees with VA facilities across the nation that have job openings, match them to interview with these sites, place trainees where there is a good fit and retain trainees in the VA system.
- Reserve Military Leave – 2 weeks of paid leave for Reserve annual tour
Requirements for applicants to Post-Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Resident:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- BSN from a CCNE or ACEN accredited program
- Must not have had ANY paid RN or paid Graduate Nurse Technician (GNT) work experience
- Current unrestricted RN license (passed NCLEX at the latest, a month prior to the start of the residency program)
- Must have graduated less than a year from program start date with a GPA 3.0 or greater
We are presently accepting applications for the program year 2021-2022.
Start date: September 27, 2021.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Resume: must include your “unpaid” and “paid” clinical experiences
- Unofficial Transcript
- School of Nursing Faculty References (3) using the recommendation form.
Email the program director for application packet and brochure.
Application deadline: May 10, 2021
For more information, contact:
Dr. Daisy Galindo-Ciocon, PhD., RN Faculty Program Director, Post-Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Residency Program (PB-RNR)
Phone: 305-575-7000 ext. 13611
Jamie Chatzipoulios, Coordinator, at 305-575-7000 ext. 13827