Miami VA Healthcare System
Summer Student Volunteer Program
Dear Student & Parent/Guardian:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Miami VA Healthcare System’s VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) Program. We appreciate your willingness to serve the men and women who are still paying the price for our freedom.
In order to be considered as a participant in the 2018 VAVS Summer Student Volunteer Program, students must be between 14 - 18 years of age. No exceptions will be granted. The program will run June 18 – Aug. 10, 2018. Interested students must comply with the following steps:
1. Complete and submit all of the following forms no later than June 1, 2018.
- Interview Form (Both sides)
- Parent/Guardian Authorization for Treatment of Minors Form
- Student Volunteer Information & Agreement Form (Keep one copy for your records)
- Proof of tuberculosis testing within one year of June 18, 2018. (No tuberculosis tests will be given at the VA)
2. The deadline for returning a completed application package is June 1, 2018. There are a limited number of positions available; therefore applications will be processed in the order received. However, submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance or placement in the program. Interviews will be conducted with each applicant to determine suitability and availability to meet facility needs.
3. You are responsible for:
- Scheduling an interview with Voluntary Service Specialists Carlos Julemiste (Miami) or Michael Dougherty (William "Bill" Kling VA Clinic). Interview reservations will be accepted June 4 - 8. All interviews will be scheduled June 12 - 16 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Pending the outcome of the interview, students will be scheduled for orientation on June 18 in the T.C. Doherty Auditorium at the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center located at 1201 NW 16th St., Miami, FL 33125.
- Your parent or guardian must attend orientation with you.
- Provide proof of tuberculosis test.
4. Students need to present their school identification care to be issued a VA identification badge.
The VA and VAVS staff appreciate your desire to help Veterans, and we look forward to your participation in the program. Please call the Voluntary Service Office if you have any questions at 305-575-3140. We look forward to meeting you this summer and hope you can join us at the Student Recognition Program scheduled for Aug. 10 at the Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center located at 1201 NW 16th St., Miami, FL 33125.
Mernie E. Williams
Chief, Voluntary Service
Summer Student Program Coordinator