Miami VA Healthcare System
Are you ready for hurricane season? Hurricane season is June 1 – November 30. Never underestimate the value of being prepared!
Being ready for a hurricane or any disaster is simply a matter of preparation. Evacuations can happen in a moment’s notice, meaning the kit you've been meaning to build is now the kit you should have built. In an emergency, you will not have time to buy the items you need.
You may need to survive on your own after an emergency. This means having your own food, water and other supplies in sufficient quantity to last for at least 96 hours. Local officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster, but they cannot reach everyone immediately. You could get help in hours or it might take days.
Download the VISN 8 Hurricane Preparedness Guide for Veterans and Families in English and Spanish versions.
Recommended supplies to include in a basic kit:
• Water, one gallon of water per person per day, for drinking and sanitation
• Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
• Battery-powered radio
• NOAA weather radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• First Aid kit
• A whistle to signal for help
• Infant formula and diapers if you have an infant
• Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
• Dust mask or cotton t-shirt, to help filter the air
• Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
• Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
• Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
Below are some other items for your family to consider adding to a supply kit. Some of these items, especially those marked with a * can be dangerous, so have an adult collect these supplies.
• Emergency reference materials such as a first aid book
• Rain gear
• Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils
• Cash or traveler’s checks, change
• Paper towels
• Fire extinguisher
• Matches in a waterproof container*
• Signal flare*
• Paper, pencil/pen
• Personal hygiene items including feminine supplies
• Prescriptions and medications
• Important family documents (e.g. insurance policies, IDs and bank account records) in a waterproof container
Helpful links during emergencies