Just a Phone Call Away
Telcare is a patient’s medical advice line that is available to Veterans when their assigned clinic is closed. The line is staffed by Registered Nurses and administrative staff who can answer medical questions and provide advice and information. Telcare uses approved health care protocols and is accredited by URAC, a national health care accreditation agency.
When your VA Clinic is closed, Telcare is available: 1-877-741-3400. Telcare’s hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 4 p.m. - 8 a.m., and 24/7 on weekends and holidays. In the event of a medical emergency, Veterans should dial 9-1-1.
When Should I Call Telcare?
• When you have a health issue and need advice. A Registered Nurse can provide medical advice and information to assist you. Important: Always call 9-1-1 for medical emergencies.
• When you have a question about an appointment, including canceling it. Scheduling appointments must be done during daytime business hours.
• When you need to communicate with your VA health care team. Telcare can help coordinate your care, acting as a bridge between you and your provider.
• For help with prescriptions. For prescription refills and status or copayment balance, the Miami VA Healthcare System’s Automated Telephone Care System is available 24/7 at 305-575-3133, or 1-888-276-1785, ext. 3133
• When there’s a disaster or issue that may impact the Miami VA Healthcare System. During these situations, Veterans and VA employees can get updated information on facility closures, appointment cancellations and pharmacy refills.
For more information on Telcare services, visit www.visn8.va.gov/VISN_8_Telcare.asp.